That has ended.
Nate will not sleep now.
Well... I shouldn't say "will not sleep." How about "fights sleep with every ounce of energy he can muster after being awake for 12 hours straight"?
It is currently 1:55 am - & my darling little boy has fallen asleep briefly & awoken 3 times in the past 3 hours. He is now laying next to me in my bed as I type. I guess our mattress is just more comfortable than his. Not asleep though.
Thankfully, once he's been asleep for more than 45 minutes, I know he'll stay asleep for a good 2-3 hours. It's just getting him to fall asleep initially! He doesn't like naps, either (hence the being awake for 12 hours straight stuff.) Thankfully, we can usually make it through the first 8-9 hours without being cranky.
Besides his cat-napping & dislike for going to bed at a decent hour (which really isn't a huge deal because he's fairly pleasant in the meantime), there is only other difficulty we have:
his love-hate relationship with the pacifier.**
We started off with these Nuks.
So Mom bought these.
We ended up at Grandma's without a pacifier on the 4th of July - his Nuk disappeared somewhere between the fireworks stand & their house. He was a crabby boy that night! So Grandma went to her "baby cabinet" & found a few pacifiers that none of the other kids had liked. So we rinsed them off &, lo and behold, Nate found one that he really liked! I was thrilled - he was taking it so much better!!!
There was only one problem.
It is the most hideous pacifier that has ever been manufactured.

Glow-in-the-dark orange and forest green? Who came up with this, anyway?
I want to buy a new one that is nicer looking, but I want this exact shape. There's not even a "brand" name on the pacifier - the closest thing I can find at the store is a MAM. But the Target by us only has pink MAMS. A no go. So I guess we'll stick with fluorescent orange and green for now. The cute baby makes up for the ugly paci, anyway.
** Disclaimer on the pacifier:
I guess I feel the need to justify a pacifier since it's somewhat a "controversial" subject - they're not "natural", baby should nurse if they need to suck, they can suck on their fingers, blah, blah.
Nathan is NOT a comfort nurser. He eats & is done, done, done. Get away, Mom. But he still wants to suck, & hasn't mastered the sucking on his fingers thing yet. He'll sometimes suck on the side of his fist, but honestly, he prefers the pacifier so much more! And I can throw the pacifier away when he gets too old for it. I can't exactly throw away his thumb...
That, & I'm his mother. So I get to decide. :)
Yes, you are his mother, and it is completely up to you and hence you should care less what others think. For the record though, Gemma still takes her "stinky" (thanks, daddy, for the great nickname) at nap and bedtime. Good luck with the sleep issues. I'd say if he sleeps in your bed well, just have him sleep there. We did that with Gemma for awhile as she needed and it worked out fine. But in the end, you're his mom and you have to do what you feel is best for your family. GOD BLESS!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Monica :) My mom always let us have our pacifiers til we were two (only at nap and bedtime after we turned 1) & she never has any trouble getting rid of them - she would just cut the nipple & say "oh, they're broken! go throw them away!" & everyone was fine.
ReplyDeleteHe slept really well last night! In our bed the second half of the night, but I'm getting more okay with it. :)
Oh dear, I hear you on the co-sleeping. I was DEAD SET against it before, and even after Gemma was born. Oh, I would wail on about how ridiculous an idea it was. We ended up cosleeping with Gemma on and off from around 3months to a year or so, just as she needed it. And it worked out fine and now she does great in her own bed. Anyways, I have learned to just keep my mouth shut, because I have had to eat soooooooo many words since becoming a parent. It's just ridiculous. But it's been good for me. Have you heard of Dr. Sears? I would highly recommend his book "The Baby Book", LOVE it!!!! I'm not one of these "if the book says it, it's true" parents, but I am a reader, and I really do like his ideas a lot. Just FYI. I'll FB you the amazon link, it won't let me paste it here.
ReplyDeleteI think that is a MAM paci, my first son loved those. Kinda looks like one they put out for halloween...like a pumpkin paci maybe? Im glad he likes it. I do think it is a MAM though...looks alot like them.
ReplyDeleteI did a little research for you...
ReplyDeleteOn eBay I found a couple "MAM" pacifiers. Here's the link for the 0-2 months:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aqua-Mini-MAM-Set-of-2-BABY-PACIFIERS-0-6-mo-NEW_W0QQitemZ200362452822QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFeeding?hash=item2ea6886756&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
And here's the link to the 6+ mos. pcifiers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAM-Baby-Pacifiers-6-Months-Boy-Glow-Latex_W0QQitemZ350195655810QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFeeding?hash=item518949a482&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
This must be the pacifier you're looking for since it states it's "glow in the dark".
Best of luck!
Thanks Chrissy & Stephanie - I found some MAMs at Babies R Us that look exactly like this one - thanks for the help! Only having one pacifier worries me since I'm a very forgetful person & lose things...
ReplyDelete